History, Facts and Myths about Ozone

Ozone gas exists in nature and is part of the environment we live in. Ozone, Activated Oxygen (or O3) is scientifically proven to deodorize, disinfect, and destroy the pollutants that poison the indoor environment including:

  • Unpleasant odors from smoke, mildew, and pets
  • Dust mites, pollen, and other allergens
  • Biological pollutants such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi
  • VOCs such as benzene, formaldehyde, methylene chloride, and others
  • Surface Molds including toxigenic and black mold

While ozone technology might be “new news” to many consumers, it has been in existence in nature forever and was first labeled in the scientific community in the early 1800’s (Van Marum, Schönbein). Chlorine gained wider acceptance as an alternative to ozone ( easier to manage / apply) until the discovery of trihalomethanes (THM) as a harmful disinfection byproduct of chlorine disinfection in 1973. Consequentially, scientists started looking for alternative disinfectants (relooking at ozone). Chlorine based products are still in use today, and so is ozone.

Today ozone technology is used in medical practices to disinfect/sanitize facilities and is often incorporated into certain medical treatments. Ozone technology is used extensively today in water treatment and is FDA approved. Ozone technology is also widely today in the hospitality and sports industries to disinfect rooms, facilities and equipment. When a cruise ship has a virus outbreak, they often turn to ozone technology! Major NFL and NHL teams also use ozone technology to disinfect / sanitize their equipment and facilities.

Myths and Facts

Myth: Ozone gas is always a bad thing

Fact: Directly exposing people, pets or plants to extremely high concentrations of ozone gas is bad. All Star Sanitize has a firm policy of no “People, Pets, or Plants” in the area being ozone treated. This insures that consumers are not exposed to higher concentrations of ozone during our shock treatment process. Additionally during the final phase of our ozone shock treatment process, we “air out” and draw outside oxygen into the room(s) that rapidly drops any residual ozone levels quickly back to normal. Ozone is highly reactive, unstable and quickly reverts back to the oxygen we breathe.

Myth: Using a Chlorine based product for cleaning is more effective.

Fact: Ozone is more effective at sterilizing/sanitizing than any chlorine-based disinfectant. Ozone gas, during our All Star Sanitize Ozone Shock Treatment process, is air borne and can reach surfaces (vents, walls, under tables, etc.) that a topical chlorine based cleaning regiment cannot reach or often miss. All Star Sanitize’s Ozone Shock Treatment COMPLEMENTS a regular topical cleaning regiment and does not propose to replace it.

Myth: Using a Chlorine based product for cleaning is safer.

Fact: Applying a topical chlorine based cleaning approach can exposes workers and subsequent room occupants to chemical residue (chlorine and other chemicals) and chlorine gases/vapors during application can be very harmful. During an All Star Sanitize ozone treatment, ozone gas is applied to a vacant room/faculty by our Ozone certified technicians only. Ozone gas is not a chemical application and thus leaves NO chemical residue. Ozone gas reverts back to the oxygen we breathe.

All Star Sanitize believes Ozone technologies have many advantages over traditional chemical-based hygiene treatments and, if applied with thought, using sound engineering and a detailed understanding of the science involved, can take industrial hygiene standards to a new level.